Wordle is a word cloud web tool which creates graphic representations of frequently used words. Users can easily individualize their word clouds as there are many formatting options including color, font, layout and choice of language. Once the Wordle has been completed, it can be embedded in a website or blog. It can also be printed as a poster, t-shirt, brochure or business card.
How to Get Started:
See the video tutorial below:
Sample Classroom Activities:
1. Word Association - Students can brainstorm possible definitions, synonyms, homonyms, antonyms, part of speech, etc associated with any new vocabulary.
2. Character Sketch or Biography - Students can share their knowledge of a literary character or historical figure.
3. Compare/Contrast Literary Themes - Students can create word clouds for two or more literary works and then compare/contrast the similarities and differences among them.
4. Reflection of Learning - Students can summarize the content of a lesson or unit of study.
5. Classroom Expectations - Together, students can brainstorm classroom expectations and have the end product posted in a word cloud.
6. Book/Binder Cover - To liven up a textbook or binder, students can cover them with a word cloud describing the content of the subject area.
Wordle is a great web tool for students to demonstrate and present their knowledge on a variety of topics. Check it out here!
This post originally appeared on The De-tech-tive 4 Teachers.