Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Ever Evolving 'Teach-nologist'

As the year 2012 winds down, I, like many of my teaching colleagues worldwide, find that it is a good time to reflect on the year that was.  This process of reflection has solidified for me several benefits of writing the 'The De-tech-tive 4 Teachers' blog.  

1.  Learn, learn, learn, I love to learn! The writing process authenticates my learning because I must formulate into words my understanding of it.  How many times have I 'learned' something to only forget it shortly thereafter?  Too many, I am sure.  More importantly, I may be able to add to the concept and subsequently enhance someone else's learning too. 

2.  Sharing - Teaching in isolation is a thing of the past.  Sharing our professional knowledge and experience, not only improves our teaching practice, but also broadens our perspective.  Interacting with the global teaching community offers a multitude of opportunities to expose ourselves to different ideas, perceptions and opinions - all of which should make us further reflect on our own professional practice.  

3.  Empowering!  The positive connections I have made through 'The De-tech-tive 4 Teachers' blog in the past 7 months have not only inspired me but also empowered me.  Specifically, I am no longer willing to sit at the back of the bus and let a driver determine the direction.  At times, I find myself wanting to be the driver.  This new found self-confidence has led me to contribute a lot more to the educational community - a responsibility I am beginning to appreciate more and more.  

4.  Evolving - I started 'The De-tech-tive 4 Teachers' blog as a way to offer assistance to educators who are interested in integrating technology into their classroom activities.  My goal was to not only de-tech 'teacher-tested' technologies, but to also recommend potential classroom activities.  However, I have found that a more detailed explanation is needed as technology should be used as an effective pedagogical tool, one that challenges students to expand their learning.  In essence, to effectively use technology in the classroom, there must be a pedagogical basis for its use.  As a result starting in 2013, future 'The De-tech-tive 4 Teachers' posts will also include a 'teach-nology' or a pedagogical rationale segment.  This segment will continue to offer sample classroom activities, but it will also explain how the technology will help meet required learning outcomes.  My goal is to enhance the information offered by 'The De-tech-tive 4 Teachers' blog so as to better assist my colleagues.  I certainly hope I can meet this goal.


In 2012, 'The De-tech-tive 4 Teachers' blogs published 38 posts in total.  Below I have created a ranked summary of these posts with the top 10 highlighted at the top (from left to right).





Feel free to use this hyperlink for a larger view - The De-tech-tive 4 Teachers Top Posts for 2012.


Holiday Cheer


Stake Lake Nordic Centre - 20 minutes west of Kamloops

Hello from snowy Kamloops, BC Canada!  As you can see from the photo, it has snowed a lot as of late which allows us Kamloopsians the opportunity to enjoy some good ole Canadian winter fun during the holiday season.  For me personally, I will be hitting the cross-country ski trails but I am sure most of my students will be snowboarding, ski-dooing or playing hockey.  

As this post will be the last one for 2012, I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your continued support of 'The De-tech-tive 4 Teachers' blog.  It has been an absolute pleasure to connect with you on a regular basis.  More importantly, I would like to wish you continued success and future prosperity for both you and your family in 2013.  Happy Holidays!


This post originally appeared on The De-tech-tive 4 Teachers.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! Learn, learn, love to learn. And then information overload--how to keep track of it all!? You have done an outstanding job here. So many great ideas. I am starting my own blog because of this idea. So yours is somewhat of a role model for me. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is absolutely great news! I am so happy to hear my blog is so helpful to you! Once you get your blog going, please do forward me the link and if you need any assistance getting started please don't hesitate to ask!

      Delete