Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Skype for Education: Connecting Students with the Rest of the World

Skype offers fantastic opportunities for teachers and students alike to share, learn and collaborate with others around the world.  Skype for Education is an extension of Skype in that it offers a meeting place for educators to easily connect with one another.  A key feature of the Skype for Education website is the search engine that allows teachers to quickly narrow down potential educational contacts they would like to use with their classes.  

Sample Classroom Activity:

Last fall, my English 8 class was very fortunate to connect with a class from Aguascalientes, Mexico.   My students really enjoyed learning about Mexican culture as well as sharing activities we were working on.  Below is a video clip authored by the local news station CFJC News documenting our experience.  As well, I have attached the "I AM" poetry project that both classes shared with each other.

For teachers who are looking to expand the walls of their classroom, I highly recommend this resource - Click here.  


I am poem template
View more documents from L. Hall.



Bibliography

"Sharing Classroom Experiences Over Skype - (CFJC News)." CFJC TV7 - 
     Kamloops' Very Own. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 May 2012. 
     <http://www.cfjctv.com/story.php?id=5050>.

1 comment:

  1. I am a big fan of Socrative and "I Am" poems!I am hoping to get an opportunity to Skype with another country this year.

    ReplyDelete